Friday, December 19, 2008

Funny Phebe /Grandpa Story

On Tuesday, I had to go to the Cities in the afternoon, so Chuck was on "Phebe duty." He picked her up from Cannon Kids (after school care) around 4:30 and they headed home. I called at about 5:00, and I could hear her in the background asking for graham crackers and other stuff. She was bound and determined to make a gingerbread house, and when Phebe is determined to do something, get out of the way! For the last few weeks, she has been watching my class collecting materials for a gingerbread house project, and my plan was to have her make one on Thursday with our leftover supplies. Now, Chuck didn't have a clue about any of this, and he certainly had no idea about the process, but, good sport that he is, he got out graham crackers, old Halloween candy, pretzels, cheetos, and some Cool Whip to hold everything together. Well, they found out quickly that the Cool Whip wouldn't work at all, so he thought of peanut butter, and Phebe set to work. Here's what I found when I got home!


Very creative, don't you think??


It was still holding together the next day, when Phebe posed for a picture, and then she dug in for a great afterschool snack!


My class made theirs on Thursday, and so when we got home after school, Phebe gave it another try with the right materials, and Grandma's help. Here's what Chuck found when he got home!


Hmmmmm...


I think Chuck deserves an award for his efforts (and his patience)!

To see more samples and get directions, check out my First Grade Fun blog - the project was so much fun, and the kids did a great job!

1 comment:

Jenna and Andy said...

Oh my, I laughed so hard when I read this. I think they both look amazing!! (Although, I'm not sure I'd eat the first one as a snack. Peanut butter and cheetos??)

You two are amazing grandparents!!