Thursday, September 1, 2011

Star Wars Quilt

I promised Maddox a long time ago that I would make a quilt for him, but somehow it just wasn't getting done by itself. Finally, one day this summer, after taking him to swimming lessons in Apple Valley, we stopped by JoAnn Fabrics so he could pick out some fabric. We looked at Toy Story, Spider Man, Incredible Hulk, every licensed character fabric you could imagine, and he finally decided that all he really wanted was Star Wars. And did they have Star Wars fabric? Of course not! I told him I would have to shop around, but at least I had an idea of where to start. I checked with a few other fabric stores, and NO ONE had Star Wars fabric. But then I remembered - we're in the computer age!! So.... I googled "star wars fabric" and sure enough, I had several choices of things to order. I ended up ordering some on e-bay and it arrived several days later. Talk about painless fabric shopping (but expensive!). However, it only came in fat quarters (if you quilt, you know what I mean), so I had to seriously alter my pattern.


The center panel is two fat quarters, and I was able to find a cool galaxy print to fill out the total center panel, and then lots of fun coordinating colors for the border - no mini flowers or calico prints for a Star Wars quilt!!


I also made a couple of pillows with some of the leftover fabric.


Maddox loved it, and it goes great in his super heroes room!

No comments: