Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Pink Stripes Are Gone!!

Yeah!! I did it!
Stripping the wallpaper and painting Jenna's room have been on my to-do list for several summers, and it's been one of those projects that I just couldn't get going on, probably because I knew that once I started, I'd be in that room for days (if not weeks). I was determined to get at it this summer, though, since Jenna moved out and started college 10 years ago, and it was almost 20 years ago that my good friend, Sally, helped me put up the paper. I finally pulled at one little corner behind the door to see how hard it would be to get the wallpaper off, and when it came off in a whole strip, I couldn't stop! Long overdue!!!




Peeling the paper was the fun part.



It came off in huge sheets, leaving the paper backing behind.

Then came the work. I went through 2 bottles of CHOMP, and countless spray bottles of water as I wet down the paper and scraped and scraped and scraped some more.
I tried to get Maddox to help me one day, but all he would do was take my picture. Thanks, kid! After I finally got the paper off, it took several scrubbings with TSP to get all the sticky goo off the walls. That was even more work than scraping the backing! Finally, I was ready to go shopping for a new quilt set, find a paint color ("platinum" from ACE Hardware), and slap a few coats of paint on those fresh, clean walls!


Quite a transformation! I wanted to use my Alaskan prints over the bed, so that's where I started with the color scheme. I also had to make the valance for the window. It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is aqua in the quilt, so I wanted to pick that up in the valance. Check this big project off my summer list!!
(Jenna and Chuck are still in mourning for the pink stripes.)

2 comments:

Jenna and Andy said...

I have now words for this post:(


(It does look good, mom)

R. Faust said...

It looks lovely, but I too will miss the pink stripes. Many hours were spent in pink striped bliss. :)