Saturday, July 23, 2011

4th of July Weekend

July 3rd:

Chuck and Andy set off early Sunday morning for some fishing on Lake Pepin. They headed to Lake City, where they picked up some bait and launched the boat. Boat traffic was really heavy, and Chuck is now vowing to never again go fishing on a holiday weekend! Although plenty of fish were showing up on the screen, they didn't get a single bite. Jenna and I joined them with Charlie in the early afternoon. We had to stop on the way to pick up a life jacket for Charlie. He'll be needing it lots more when we go up to the lake for a week in August!

He loved the wind in his face as we scooted around the lake.


He was not quite so impressed with the sunscreen on his face!



Andy and Chuck tried to do a little more fishing, but no luck once again.


Charlie was entertained with a few toys as we baked in the hot sun.


He got to cool off in the whale pool when we got back home!

July 4th:

We watched the CF parade in the morning , relaxed a bit in the afternoon, and then headed up to St. Paul. We decided we wanted to watch the fireworks in the "big city" for a change, and since Chuck had heard about an offer at Kincaid's for $8.00 burger and beers, we thought we'd check it out. What a good deal! We also found a great outdoor patio and happy hour at Wild Tymes (cheap appetizers and $2.00 drinks - can't beat it!), so we were glad we went early!

We had lots of time to hang out after dinner, first in Mears Park and then on the Science Museum patio.

We staked out our spot for the fire works, and then...


listened to music and did some people-watching - much more interesting and diverse than in Cannon Falls!





Finally, the show began, and it was awesome!


I'm afraid my camera doesn't do a very good job of capturing fireworks (probably because I can't hold it still enough - I think I need a tripod), but trust me when I say that it was a GREAT display and very loud with the sound bouncing off the downtown buildings.

I'm always a little sad when we reach the 4th of July because that means summer is almost half over, and the rest of my break always seems to go by sooooo fast! I also realize I don't have much time left for all my summer projects - time to get busy!!

No comments: